Advice for international students
Every year, thousands of students from all over the world choose to study in the UK for masters or PhD-level qualifications. UK universities have a great reputation across the world and their qualifications are internationally recognised. There is also a strong tradition of welcoming postgraduate students from around the world - at postgraduate level, students from outside the UK make up more than 25 per cent of the total student body.
Postgraduate courses in the UK fall into two broad categories: taught programmes and research-based programmes. Whichever type you choose, you are likely to benefit from small to medium class sizes with plenty of interaction, a favourable staff-to-student ratio, good facilities (books, laboratory equipment) and opportunities to develop your critical thinking skills. The learning environment is open and informal.
A major part of studying abroad is the experience of living in a different country, meeting interesting people and savouring various cultures. It's hard to beat the UK for a multicultural student environment - the postgraduate community has a very high percentage of international students, and they come from several countries. The opportunity to improve your fluency in English will improve your job prospects and help both you and your employer develop international links.
Advice on postgraduate diplomas and MA, MSc and PhD courses in the UK
- Want to study for a postgrad in the UK? FAQs for overseas students
- MA, MSc, MRes, PhD, Eng D... different types of postgraduate courses
- Why choose the UK for further study?
- Fees and funding FAQs for overseas postgraduate students
- Visa FAQs for international postgraduate students
- Why UK employers like postgraduate candidates with work experience
TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Wales
5 February 2015
Cardiff, Cardiff University Students' UnionFind out more >>
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair North West – 18 February 2015
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Yorkshire – 4 March 2015
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Scotland – 18 March 2015