Charities and awards
Again, a competitive area, but hundreds of charities and schemes offer money to needy postgraduates. These range from large trusts such as the Wellcome Trust to much smaller, nevertheless useful awards – some have a wide eligibility criterion and some have much more specific remits. For example, the Buchanan Society have an award for people with a specific surname, many have geographical links, educational requirements or are distributed only when other sources of funding have been exhausted by applicants.
Some of the better-known charities giving fairly hefty awards directly to graduates include;
- Panasonic Trust Fellowships and Awards
- The Perry Foundation
- The Harold Hyam Wingate Foundation
- British Federation of Women Graduates
The key here is checking the criteria and writing a good proposal.
Do remember to check universities too, they may offer their own awards in particular subjects, or discounts for alumni.
Find funding online
TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Wales
5 February 2015
Cardiff, Cardiff University Students' UnionFind out more >>
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair North West – 18 February 2015
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Yorkshire – 4 March 2015
- TARGETpostgrad Study & Funding Fair Scotland – 18 March 2015