Financing your LLM or MA in law

There are a range of different options for funding postgraduate legal study

There are no mandatory awards for postgraduate study in law. Fees for a full-time LLM or MA in law tend to be around £3,000 for EU students but are higher at certain institutions. Competition for financial awards is fierce and most people who receive funding assistance have at least a 2.1. Look out for early closing dates for financial awards.

University funding for postgraduate students

Most universities offer awards to students continuing their studies at the same institution, and some are available for graduates from other universities. Postgraduate teaching posts are a useful way to earn some money and fees can sometimes be offset against earnings.

Grants and professional funding

Several publications provide listings of grant-making trusts and funding bodies. Your careers service or library should have:

  • The Grants Register (Palgrave Macmillan)
  • Directory of Grant-making Trusts (Charities Aid Foundation)
  • Postgraduate Study and Research (AGCAS)
  • Information about research council awards.

Awards from research councils are the main source of funding for research students. Get hold of a list of postgraduate courses that qualify to find out what assistance is available for masters courses.

  • Arts and Humanities Research Board, tel: 0117 987 6543
  • Economic and Social Research Council, tel: 01793 413145.

Bank loans

Postgraduate students are not eligible for loans from the Student Loans Company. However, there is a professional and career development loan scheme on offer through an arrangement between the Learning and Skills Council and participating high street banks, providing up to £10,000 towards fees and living expenses. See the Lifelong Learning website for more information.

Other postgraduate funding resources

Get information on resources, funding and housing or council tax benefits from the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills and the Department for Work and Pensions.

The National Postgraduate Committee also has useful information for prospective postgraduate students and a funding guide.

Funding help for international students

The majority of awards for overseas students studying in the UK come from the British Council. Call +44 (0)131 524 5770. The Department for International Development's website also contains a list of funding sources. Call 0845 300 4100 (from overseas +44 1355 843132). Check for any awards available through your home country's education department.