Becoming a teacher: training and qualification routes

Want to teach in state-maintained schools? You'll need a PGCE or equivalent postgraduate qualification. Some teacher training courses are based in universities while others are school-centred, though all involve plenty of classroom experience. Our in-depth information will help you choose between PGCE, School Direct, SCITT and other paths to qualified teacher status across the UK. We'll also guide you through the UCAS Teacher Training application process, which has been changed for 2016 applications.

Thanks to our partnership with AGCAS, the professional organisation for careers advisers, we can bring you the best possible advice to help you get a place on the course you want.

Featured teacher training

Featured postgraduate teaching and education courses: PGCE, PhD, and MA from Oxford Brookes, Cardiff Metropolitan, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent, and Edge Hill.

Featured teaching and education school videos

TARGETpostgrad Teaching 2016

Advice on careers and training in teaching and education.

View online

Get iPad edition