Studying in Cyprus

Studying in Cyprus


Our information and advice on job hunting, further study and visas remains current following the UK’s formal triggering of Article 50, and will be updated in the light of developments from the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union.

Higher and tertiary education in Cyprus is provided through a mix of public and private institutions. The qualification structure is similar to that in the UK, offering undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and vocational courses.

Public universities include:

Private universities offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses include:

In addition there are numerous private tertiary-level colleges.

There are also universities in the northern (Turkish administered) part of the island. These operate under the law of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is only recognised by Turkey.

What courses can you study?

Postgraduate courses are offered at both masters and doctorate level. Subject areas vary depending on the institution so check with each one to see what's offered. Subjects include marketing, business, law, computing, banking and finance, engineering, education, social sciences and construction. MBAs are also available.

Courses at the private universities are more likely to be taught in English (for example, the University of Nicosia), whereas courses at the public universities tend to be in Greek. However, check individual courses for the language of instruction. The University of Cyprus School of Modern Greek offers intensive summer courses in Greek.

How do you apply for postgraduate study?

Each institution has specific entry requirements so you should check with the postgraduate office or admissions department directly to find out details. You'll usually need to provide certificates to show you have the relevant undergraduate degree or other required qualifications.

Applications are typically made directly to the institution and you can usually apply online or download an application pack from their website. You are also likely to be required to submit references and may have to pay an application fee.

Some institutions may ask you to sit entrance exams or have a pre-entry interview.

Fees and scholarships

Tuition fees vary depending on the institution, so you need to check directly with the university to find out what international students are required to pay. As a guide you could expect fees of around €5,125 to €8,100 (depending on the course) for a masters and €10,250 for an MBA. However, some institutions may charge more than this.

Funding may be available through programmes such as Erasmus+. If you're doing an Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree (JMD) you may be eligible for a full degree scholarship.

It may also be possible to get a scholarship or other funding support directly from the institution. These awards can be based on a number of factors, for example academic achievement.

Some institutions may also offer financial support through assistantships. These cover the needs of the department and involve the postgraduate student helping with teaching, assignments, lab supervision and grading.

Are there any exchange programmes?

UK students on both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes may be interested in studying in Cyprus through Erasmus+. This programme is open to all subject areas, but check with your institution's study abroad/exchange coordinator to see which countries they have links with and in what subject areas.

Will your qualifications be recognised in the UK?

Following the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a postgraduate course from Cyprus is directly comparable to the UK equivalent.

Do you need a visa to study in Cyprus?

EU citizens don't need a visa to study in Cyprus. However, if you plan to stay in Cyprus for more than three months you will need to apply for a registration certificate from the Census Records and Migration Department within four months of arrival. You'll need to provide your registration letter from the university as evidence that you'll be a student in the country.

Non-EU students may need a visa and should contact the Cypriot Embassy or Consulate in their home country for more information.

Written by AGCAS editors, June 2016