Studying in Czech Republic

Studying in Czech Republic


Our information and advice on job hunting, further study and visas remains current following the UK’s formal triggering of Article 50, and will be updated in the light of developments from the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union.

The Czech Republic has 26 public higher education institutions, 2 state higher education institutions and 40 private institutions. See Study in the Czech Republic for a list of universities.

Undergraduate degrees are awarded after three to four years, and masters courses typically take one to three years to complete. Doctoral-level studies usually take a further three years and are open to graduates of masters-level programmes.

Both public universities and private colleges offer postgraduate study. Many private institutes are international.

What courses can you study?

Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes for international students are available at several Czech universities.

There are an increasing amount of English-taught courses, particularly at US-run private colleges including the University of New York and the Anglo-American University. Both specialise in the study of business and finance, including MBAs.

MBA courses are also taught in English at CMC Graduate School of Business and the US Business School Prague (USBSP).

Established universities such as Charles University in Prague, the oldest in central Europe, have short course and degree programmes in English.

Further information can be found at Study in the Czech Republic and Czech Republic.

How do you apply for postgraduate study?

Requirements for postgraduate study are similar to those in the UK. For example, a first degree will be a prerequisite if you apply to study for a masters qualification. The grades required will depend on the faculty and standard of university.

Applications for public universities are usually required by the end of February although some extend deadlines to March/April. Check with individual institutions for specific dates.

Initial enquiries should be made to the higher education institution of your choice. Admissions usually require evidence of diplomas and certificates, an application form and payment of a small non-refundable application fee. Many institutions, both public and private, accept online applications.

For courses taught in Czech, you'll have to demonstrate your knowledge of the language and may be required to pass an examination (usually held between June and September).

Fees and scholarships

There are no fees to be paid by Czech citizens or foreigners for study in public universities. However, this is only concerning those courses taught in Czech. Course offered in English or other languages may require fees and individual institutions should be contacted for details.

Cost of living for students is significantly lower than in western European countries.

A range of scholarships may be available and include:

  • Scholarship from the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports and the Czech government, offered every year to foreign students at public universities.
  • Erasmus+ Joint Master Degrees (JMDs), where students can go abroad for 3–12 months and may receive an Erasmus+ EU grant for studying or being trained overseas.
  • Central European Exchange Programme for University Studies (CEEPUS) has university networks operating joint programmes of study to lead to joint degrees. CEEPUS offers mobility grants for students involved.
  • Some higher education institutions offer scholarships in certain circumstances if students are in hardship or are achieving excellent study results. Contact individual institutions for specific details.

Are there any exchange programmes?

UK students on both under and postgraduate degree programmes may be interested in studying in the Czech Republic through Erasmus+. This programme is open to all subject areas, but check with your institution's study abroad/exchange coordinator to see which countries they have links with and in what subject areas.

Will your qualifications be recognised in the UK?

Following the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a postgraduate course from the Czech Republic is directly comparable to the UK equivalent.

Do you need a visa to study in the Czech Republic?

Students of all nationalities must register after arrival with the Foreign Police, if it has not been done by the accommodation provider. And within three working days, all students requiring a long-term residence permit are obliged to report to the Ministry of the Interior (Department for Asylum and Migration Policy) office in person so they can be issued with a biometric residence card. They may also report their arrival at this point.

See Ministry of the Interior for details.

For non-EU citizens, contact the Czech Republic embassy in the country where you're currently living about how to obtain student visas. If you are living in the UK, go to Czech Republic Embassy in the UK.

You might also find it helpful to contact your ministry of foreign affairs (or your own embassy if you are not living in your home country) to ask whether there are any issues to be taken into account when considering studying in the Czech Republic.

AGCAS editors, March 2017