Studying in Denmark

Studying in Denmark


Our information and advice on job hunting, further study and visas remains current following the UK’s formal triggering of Article 50, and will be updated in the light of developments from the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union.

Higher education institutions in Denmark can be divided into four categories:

  • universities or university-level institutions offering research-based undergraduate and postgraduate programmes
  • university colleges (professionshøjskoler) offering three to four-and-a-half-year undergraduate programmes (professional programmes)
  • artistic higher education institutions
  • schools of maritime education and training

Each institution has its own admission requirements, so it is very important you check all the details with the institution you wish to apply to.

What courses can you study?

A candidatus or masters degree is an advanced, research-based course you complete in two years.

A PhD is awarded after three years of supervised postgraduate study following the successful completion of a masters degree.

Several courses are available in English. For more information, go to Study in Denmark.

How do you apply for postgraduate study?

For masters programmes, you need an internationally recognised undergraduate degree of good standard or equivalent as well as proof of proficiency in English (or proof of proficiency in Danish if the programme is taught in Danish).

General admissions requirements for PhD programmes include a masters or candidatus degree or equivalent (comparable to the Danish two-year masters/candidatus degree). In some areas, a four-year PhD programme is offered to students who have completed an undergraduate qualification and one year of study at postgraduate level.

Each institution is responsible for their own admission and further information about entrance qualifications, additional tests and potential credit transfer can be obtained at the institutions' admissions offices.

If you wish to study at a higher education institution in Denmark, you should enquire about entry qualifications, additional tests and potential credit transfers from the admission office at the institution where you wish to study. The deadlines for the different programmes vary and you should therefore always contact the relevant institution for further information.

Fees and scholarships

Higher education in Denmark is normally provided free of charge for EU/EEA students including all students participating in an exchange programme. All other students have to pay a tuition fee. Average monthly living expenses are estimated to be £635–£850. This includes accommodation fees.

A variety of scholarships are available for study in Denmark – see Study in Denmark – Tuition Fees and Scholarships.

Are there any exchange programmes?

UK students on both under and postgraduate degree programmes may be interested in studying in Denmark through Erasmus+. This programme is open to all subject areas, but check with your institution's study abroad/exchange coordinator to see which countries they have links with and in what subject areas.

Will your qualifications be recognised in the UK?

Following the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a postgraduate course from Denmark is directly comparable to the UK equivalent.

Do you need a visa to study in Denmark?

Most UK and EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Denmark stays of less than three months. Check if you require a visa at New to Denmark.

For stays of longer than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit prior to arriving in Denmark. You can apply for a visa at any authorised Danish embassy or consulate in a country where you are staying legally on a permanent or temporary basis.

AGCAS editors, April 2017