Studying in Greece

Studying in Greece


Our information and advice on job hunting, further study and visas remains current following the UK’s formal triggering of Article 50, and will be updated in the light of developments from the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union.

What courses can you study?

A masters programme usually lasts one to two years and a doctoral degree lasts between three to six years.

Information on both masters and PhD courses is available through individual university prospectuses (usually in Greek) and Study in Greece.

There are comparatively few students from other European countries studying in Greece, apart from a few doing classical studies. Some UK students do their doctoral research in Greece, especially in classics and archaeology, whether or not they are students of a Greek university.

A masters programme usually last two years and doctoral degrees take a minimum of five years.

How do you apply for postgraduate study?

Admissions tutors will usually decide on eligibility but, in general, a masters degree is required for entry to a doctoral programme at a Greek university. The Greek first degree is officially regarded as being equivalent to a UK masters degree.

Universities usually teach in Greek. Greek language requirements for students who are not native speakers vary between universities and departments. Some courses are taught in other languages, including English, but these are usually run by organisations representing universities from other countries.

Candidates should contact their postgraduate study programme of choice for information on closing dates.

Admission procedures vary between institutions, so contact the department you are interested in joining. As well as submitting an application form, you may have to take an oral and/or written entrance examination. Selection criteria vary from programme to programme, but may include: the grade you attained in your first degree; your performance in undergraduate courses related to your chosen postgraduate study programme; knowledge of foreign languages; your undergraduate dissertation and/or your experience of research and writing.

You should submit your application, together with your CV, a report on your work and/or a copy of your postgraduate degree certificate as required. Holders of postgraduate degrees from outside Greece should have their degrees recognised by the appropriate national authorities.

Further advice is available from the Greek Ministry of Education.

Fees and scholarships

The Greek Constitution states that higher education should be provided free of charge. However, fees may be set for some postgraduate study programmes. Contact individual institutions for information about fees.

Students on the Erasmus+ programme, studying abroad for 3 to 12 months, may receive an Erasmus+ EU grant for studying or being trained overseas.

The Greek Ministry of Education provides some postgraduate scholarships, details can be found on the Study in Greece website. If you are unable to source funding and have to fund your own studies, fees are usually lower than in the UK.

Are there any exchange programmes?

UK students on both under and postgraduate degree programmes may be interested in studying in Greece through Erasmus+. This programme is open to all subject areas, but check with your institution's study abroad/exchange coordinator to see which countries they have links with and in what subject areas.

Will your qualifications be recognised in the UK?

Following the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a postgraduate course from Greece is directly comparable to the UK equivalent.

Do you need a visa to study in Greece?

EU nationals don't need a visa to study in Greece, but they should register their residence in Greece, at a police station, if their stay exceeds three months.

Note that offices aren't common in small towns and in many areas you will need to travel to a regional capital or large city to apply.

Non-EU students may need a student residence permit and should contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in their home country, prior to travel, for more information on this.

AGCAS editors, July 2017