Studying in Sweden

Studying in Sweden


Our information and advice on job hunting, further study and visas remains current following the UK’s formal triggering of Article 50, and will be updated in the light of developments from the UK’s negotiations to leave the European Union.

The Swedish Higher Education Authority and the Swedish Council for Higher Education are the central government agencies responsible for setting degree frameworks and ensuring quality control in higher education. However, the individual institutions have freedom to structure their courses as they please, as long as they fit state regulations.

Higher education institutions use a common credit system which is compatible with the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).

Each institution usually develops a specialisation as a result of a well-established collaboration with local industries and the business community. This means they can each offer specialised programmes of study that are not offered at other institutions.

There are both universities and university colleges in Sweden, the majority of which are state-funded. Universities are able to award degrees at all levels while university colleges may be restricted. For example, most university colleges don't award PhDs.

Go to Study in Sweden for links to all higher education institutions' websites.

What courses can you study?

Degrees in Sweden are offered at bachelors, masters and doctorate level. There are over 900 masters courses taught in English across a range of subjects. The Study in Sweden website has a searchable database of higher education courses.

Masters courses take one or two years to complete and consist of coursework and a research-based thesis. PhDs are also available and usually take four years to complete. All PhDs in Sweden are research-based rather than taught.

How do you apply for postgraduate study?

Three years of completed undergraduate study is the minimum for embarking on postgraduate education in Sweden. For PhDs, a postgraduate masters qualification (MA/MSc) is usually required.

For international students, application is via the central University Admissions in Sweden online application system. This allows you to apply for up to four masters courses in Sweden in one application. The application itself is made online but you will also need to post supporting documentation. This includes certificates, copies of transcripts, English proficiency and any other documents requested by the institution such as essays or references. You will be able to check the progress of your application online.

The deadline for most masters applications is January for programmes starting in the autumn term and August for the spring term.

For PhD study, applications must be made directly to institutions. Application deadlines and specific requirements vary between institutions so you should check directly on their websites for details. Some have set application dates while others admit students throughout the year.

For courses taught in Swedish, non-native speakers may have to take tests or complete a language course beforehand. See the Study in Sweden website for information on available courses.

Fees and scholarships

EU citizens don't have to pay tuition fees in Sweden. If you're from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland you may need to pay fees for masters courses that could range from 80,000–140,000 SEK per academic year.

Cost of living is estimated to be around 7,300 SEK per month. Most students also usually pay to get membership of their student union which costs between 50–350 SEK per semester. See the Study in Sweden website for further information.

Scholarships are available from the Swedish Institute for fee-paying international students but competition for these is usually quite strong. You may also be able to apply for scholarships directly from the university to cover tuition or living costs. You can find out more and search for scholarships at Study in Sweden.

Are there any exchange programmes?

UK students on both under and postgraduate degree programmes may be interested in studying in Sweden through Erasmus+. This programme is open to all subject areas, but check with your institution's study abroad/exchange coordinator to see which countries they have links with and in what subject areas.

Will your qualification be recognised in the UK?

Following the Bologna Process and the creation of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a postgraduate course from Sweden is directly comparable to the UK equivalent.

Do you need a visa to study in Sweden?

EU citizens don't need a visa to be able to study in Sweden. If you will be working, studying or can support yourself financially you will have the automatic right of residence and don't need to register with the Swedish Migration Board.

If you're a citizen of a non-EU country, you will need a visa or residence permit depending on the length of the course. Find out more at the Swedish Migration Board.

AGCAS editors, October 2014