School of Psychology
Established in 1884 Bangor University is situated on the North Wales coast between the mountains of Snowdonia and the sea, making it one of the most attractive university cities in the UK. It is a research led University with the School of Psychology at the forefront of that effort and has an excellent reputation for student support. Some of its highlights include:
- Bangor University was ranked top 10 in the UK for ‘Student Satisfaction’ 2017
- Gold Award in Teaching Excellence Framework 2017
- Top 40 in the UK for its research output overall
- Bangor won the Whatuni award in 2017 for Best Clubs & Societies (all free to join too!) and won Best Accommodation in 2016
- A fantastic quality of life set between the mountains and the sea offering a wealth of outdoor activities not to mention a number of UNESCO World Heritage sites nearby.
- Bangor is easily accessible with Liverpool and Manchester within 90 minutes drive. London is just over 3 hours away by train.
- Bangor is a small, friendly and safe city with students making up 1/3 of the population.
- According to The Independent's A-Z of Universities and Higher Education Colleges, Bangor is "one of the cheapest places in Britain" to be a student.
We have a vibrant, cosmopolitan psychology postgraduate community of over 200 students and offer a range of masters programmes including Clinical & Health Psychology, Counselling, Applied Behaviour Analysis and Neuroimaging attracting students from all around the world. Why not have a look at our Virtual Open Day or School Videos to learn more.
We are also pleased to be able to offer some financial support to students through school funded achievement scholarships for first class students, international scholarships etc. Information on these and other funding sources can be found on our scholarships School page.
Student satisfaction and student life - We offer our students an exceptional lifestyle, a few highlights of which are:
- In the postgraduate taught experience survey 2017 (PTES) Psychology scored 91% for Overall Student Satisfaction and 92% for Quality of the Teaching & Learning
- Top 15 for Research Quality – Complete University Guide 2018
- We were one of only two UK Psychology departments that ranked in the top 10 for student satisfaction (NSS) and in the top 20 for research (REF) when these were last done at the same time (2014). A clear demonstration of our rare combination of teaching and research excellence
Teaching Excellence - We focus on caring for and supporting our students and have specialist International, Employability and Disability Tutors who can help you reach your maximum potential.
- Gold TEF Award 2017
- We have been ranked in the top 200 departments in the world (QS World University Ranking 2017).
- Our independent external examiner said we are “producing some of the best quality psychology graduates in the UK.”
Bangor boosts your job prospects - To help you go further with your Bangor degree, you can develop additional skills, gain qualifications and complete work experience that’s relevant both to your degree and to your future career.
- UK Top 15 for Graduate Prospects – Complete University Guide 2018
Research and Impact
A remarkable research record
The research record of the School has been one of remarkable achievement, reaching both top teaching standards and extremely high marks in the 2001, 2008 RAE results and most recently in REF 2014 where 89% of the research outputs were ranked ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
We have four overarching research themes, each of which covers a range of specialist areas and techniques.
Perception, Action & Memory: The perception, action and memory group investigates how we extract information from the environment and use this information to guide our actions, and how such interactions result in learning and memory.
Language, Bilingualism & Cognitive Development. This group consists of a highly collaborative set of researchers using a variety of behavioural, neuropsychological, and cognitive neuroscience methods to study the interaction of language and cognition across the lifespan.
Social Neuroscience. Broadly our research questions how the brain makes sense of the social world. Particular foci are on the perception of other people - their faces, bodies, voices; understanding the meaning of others' actions; on social learning; on disorders of social cognition; and on emotion and memory.
Clinical, Health and Behavioural Psychology. This group looks at the application of psychological knowledge to understand and to address human behaviour and broader psychological well-being in multiple contexts. It covers a range of applied questions such as addressing Behaviour Change as well as typical developmental processes across the lifespan. Using a variety of psychological approaches, it seeks to make real changes to behaviour of benefit to individuals and to other psychological and Quality of Life outcomes.
In addition to the individual laboratory that your supervisor will have we also have a number of state of the art open-access research facilities and services. Bangor staff and post-graduate student researchers may access these facilities by participating in the appropriate methodological research groups. Facilities are fully staffed and supported by grant-funded research assistants and research officers, as well as School-funded posts. Facilities within the Bangor Imaging Unit include a research dedicated Philips 3T Achieva MR scanner, MRI compatible EEG, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), stimulus presentation systems, and eye tracking systems. The Psychology Open-Access Electrophysiology and Topographic (POET) lab provides access to EEG / ERP research facilities for all School research staff, and supports students and researchers through regular training events. The lab consists of a fully shielded sound-attenuated testing booth,128 channel BioSemi EEG system, and all equipment necessary for auditory and visual EEG/ERP experiments. We also have eye tracking and motion capture facilities as well as highly developed participant panels including students, Infants, Neurology patients and a community panel as well as dedicated research facilities in the University Nursery.
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.