Bath Spa University
PGCE Secondary Design and Technology
Outstanding teachers make a difference to the lives and futures of the people they teach. Embedded within our partnership with schools, this Ofsted Outstanding-rated programme will support you to become an innovative and inspiring Secondary Design and Technology teacher.
Our full-time PGCE Design and Technology course spans from the beginning of September to the beginning of July. You'll gain experience in a wide variety of schools including primary and special schools. The programme is structured to ensure that you acquire expertise in core teaching skills and attributes, but also contains enough flexibility to allow you to individualise your training during professional development weeks.
You'll graduate with a PGCE with QTS and 60 Master's Level Credits - these can contribute to a full Master's qualification to further develop your professional and academic expertise.
You’ll need to be suited to the teaching profession both personally and academically. We look for committed individuals with a professional approach and an exceptional work ethic. You’ll need to be organised, flexible and unflappable, as well as being able to communicate, interact and relate well to everyone. When entering the teaching profession, having strong emotional resilience and a sense of humour will give you the edge.
- In order to apply you'll need to have completed, or be in the final year of a UK degree (or an equivalent qualification). You’re required to have a 2.2 honours degree or above in a subject that relates closely to one of the specialisms within Design and Technology.
- A degree that relates reasonably well might also be acceptable if you already have good practical skills that cover the types of processes used in school.
- You'll also need GCSE passes at grade C or above (or recognised equivalents) in English and Mathematics. In addition, for some Secondary programmes you are also required to have an A-level in the subject.
- It is very important that you have seen Design and Technology recently in at least one good department, as the subject has changed a great deal in the last ten years.
- All applicants are subject to a number of checks designed to maintain the integrity of the teaching profession. You'll be required to attend an interview, complete Professional Skills Tests and undergo DBS checks. You may also need to enrol on a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course.
The PGCE programme is distinguished by the knowledge and experience of the Ofsted "Outstanding" team of academic tutors, who are complemented by expert school-based mentors and trainers. Bath Spa University’s Institute for Education has over 70 years’ experience of delivering high quality training for teachers and is recognised as one of the leading providers in the country.
You'll be taught in mixed subject groups for Professional Studies, and in smaller subject groups for subject sessions. In addition, you'll be involved in whole cohort sessions and will benefit from individual tutorials five times a year. In both assessed school phases, you'll work closely with your school-based mentors and trainers. Your academic tutor in your subject specialism will be your individual academic and pastoral tutor throughout your PGCE year.
A personalised process of continuous assessment ensures that learning is appropriate and effective. There are five progress review points throughout the PGCE year, which take the form of individual tutorials with your Academic Tutor to monitor your progress and set individual targets for the next phase of training.
The PGCE Secondary programme is a continuous and open assessment of your progress across all aspects of the training: Subject Studies, Professional Studies and school-assessed phases. Three assignments are offered at Level 7 (Postgraduate award) through which you can gain 60 Master's level credits to put towards further part-time study at the University.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home/EU)||12 Months|
|PGCE||Full time||September 2019||£ 13,300 per Academic year (International)||12 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.