Bath Spa University
Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course (Modern Languages)
This is highly interactive two week, full-time course where you’ll develop confidence as well as subject knowledge in modern languages.
You’ll enhance your second teaching language and refresh your first teaching language in order to proceed confidently onto your chosen initial teacher education route.
Before you begin the course, you’ll complete an individual Subject Knowledge Audit, to determine specific areas of subject knowledge to be developed.
Through this course we aim to:
- Prepare you for your PGCE programme – we’ll highlight teaching and learning issues in modern languages;
- Inspire passion for modern languages including all aspects of local, national and global developments within it;
- Help you understand the knowledge, concepts and skills associated with modern languages;
- Model imaginative and creative approaches to teaching and learning, and excellent practice in assessment;
- Prepare you to teach modern languages up to Key Stage 4 level. You’ll have the opportunity to reach up to A-level standard teaching knowledge.
You should demonstrate a passion for modern languages and a real desire to teach it at secondary level.
You must have been offered a conditional place on an teacher education/PGCE programme, and therefore met the standard PGCE entry requirements for your intended route.
It is desirable to have experience of the subject to at least A-level standard, and this could be through holding an A-level in the subject, having an element of it in your degree course and/or occupational experience of the subject.
You’ll need GCSE English and Maths at grade C or above (or recognised equivalents).
You’ll require a referral from your Initial Teacher Education/PGCE provider. Your provider may refer you to an enhancement course where either you do not have a degree that contains more than 50% in modern languages or where they consider your modern language knowledge is weak and offers no specialism.
Teaching and learning will include a range of methods to enhance your knowledge and understanding including tutorials, practical tasks, essays, investigations, collaborative projects and presentations. In addition, there may be opportunities for school visits, fieldwork, trips and visits to help place your subject in a wider context.
You’ll learn about or be introduced to:
- the National Curriculum and GCSE syllabuses;
- specific topics and skills, in relation to language teaching;
- resources (both hardware and software) for workshop-based activities in school;
- ICT skills and techniques, both as a personal study tool and develop subject-specific skills in Spanish;
- criteria that will identify the characteristics of ‘quality’ work in Spanish;
- guidance on strategies to improve subject knowledge;
- concepts that relate to work in Spanish.
You’ll also research and present subject content on a topic with which you’re not currently familiar.
There is no formal assessment but you’ll work up to GCSE and AS level in your second language. You’ll receive a record of achievement on completing the course, which will be copied to the institution where you are, or will be, studying.
You’ll be set clear targets to achieve as a result of the course, building on the audit of subject knowledge, understanding and skills undertaken with the help of the course tutor.
If eligible you can access NCTL funding to cover the cost of the course.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|Enhancement Course||Full-time||-||2 weeks|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Newton Park Campus||Bath||BA2 9BN||South West|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.