Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck, University of London

Mathematical Finance

The market for postgraduate training in quantitative finance is evolving, with a change in the skillset that employers demand. Birkbeck's MSc Mathematical Finance offers advanced training in quantitative skills used in modern financial institutions, including most notably valuation of securities, and measurement and management of portfolio risks, enabling you to seek employment in financial institutions, including regulator bodies. You will be trained in programming, numerical methods and statistics, and given a grounding in pricing and risk management techniques. A key feature is the emphasis on computational methods and implementation of the pricing and risk management techniques learnt. You will complete modules in programming, numerical methods and financial statistics, and many topics are illustrated by computer examples. The programme is demanding and challenging; applicants should have strong intellectual ability and be willing to work hard. We offer a range of postgraduate programmes in finance, so if you are unsure which is right for you, then read an overview of each programme. Highlights - Many of our students work in the finance industry, which generates a lively atmosphere in class and ensures that you'll be studying alongside committed, enthusiastic students with a wealth of experience. - Our teaching is informed by the latest research and by the needs of employers, so you'll be taught by academics who are professional practitioners involved in the world of economics and international finance. - Our teaching is renowned for its high quality and we provide in-house training for government departments and City firms and banks, including the Treasury and the Bank of England. - In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than half of our research outputs in Economics were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent. - The Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics brings together research and teaching across economics and finance, mathematics and statistics in a single department, which creates significant interdisciplinary synergies. - Watch our video of Professor Ron Smith talking about studying in the Department.

Entry requirements

MSc: The normal entry requirement is at least a second-class degree from a UK university, or overseas equivalent, in a quantitative subject such as mathematics, physics, statistics, economics or engineering. Alternatively, a merit or higher in a Graduate Diploma in economics, mathematics or statistics would be suitable. Work experience will be taken into account. Graduates from other disciplines such as computer science will be accepted if their degree contains a major quantitative element. In some circumstances students are admitted with a first degree that is less than the 2:1 standard, provided that their subsequent work experience and/or education and training is deemed to have brought them to an equivalent standard.

Course modules

For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck's online prospectus.

Assessment methods

Usually around 80 per cent of the assessment is unseen examinations, typically held in January or June. The other 20% of your assessment is via coursework to ensure that, throughout the year, you get practice and receive feedback in tackling and solving problems independently, without the time pressure of examinations.

Qualifications

Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MSc Full-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Northern Ireland) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (England) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (EU) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Scotland) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2019 18,900 per Whole course (International) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Wales) 1 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (EU) 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 18,900 per Whole course (International) 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Northern Ireland) 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Scotland) 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (England) 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 14,700 per Whole course (Wales) 2 Years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Main Site WC1E 7HX London

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Contact: 
Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics
Telephone number: 
02076316442