Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck, University of London

Mathematical Finance

The market for postgraduate training in quantitative finance is evolving, with a change in the skillset that employers demand. Birkbeck's MSc Mathematical Finance offers advanced training in quantitative skills used in modern financial institutions, including most notably valuation of securities, and measurement and management of portfolio risks, enabling you to seek employment in financial institutions, including regulator bodies. You will be trained in programming, numerical methods and statistics, and given a grounding in pricing and risk management techniques. A key feature is the emphasis on computational methods and implementation of the pricing and risk management techniques learnt. You will complete modules in programming, numerical methods and financial statistics, and many topics are illustrated by computer examples. The programme is demanding and challenging; applicants should have strong intellectual ability and be willing to work hard.

Entry requirements

MSc: For entry on to the MSc Mathematical Finance, the normal requirement is at least a second-class degree from a UK university, or overseas equivalent, in a quantitative subject such as mathematics, physics, statistics, economics or engineering. Alternatively, a merit or higher in a Graduate Diploma in economics, mathematics or statistics would be suitable. Work experience will be taken into account. Graduates from other disciplines such as computer science will be accepted if their degree contains a major quantitative element. In some circumstances students are admitted with a first degree that is less than the 2.1 standard, provided that their subsequent work experience and/or education and training is deemed to have brought them to an equivalent standard.

Course modules

For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck's online prospectus.

Assessment methods

Usually around 80% of the assessment is unseen examinations, typically held in January or June. The other 20% of your assessment is via coursework to ensure that, throughout the year, you get practice and receive feedback in tackling and solving problems independently, without the time pressure of examinations.


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MSc Full-time October 2018 17,950 per Year 1 (International) 1 Years
MSc Full-time October 2018 13,950 per Year 1 (Home/EU) 1 Years
MSc Part-time evening October 2018 8,975 per Year 1 (International) 2 Years
MSc Part-time evening October 2018 6,975 per Year 1 (Home/EU) 2 Years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Main Site WC1E 7HX London

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Birkbeck Student Advice Service
Telephone number: