Birkbeck, University of London
Finance with Advanced Pathways
Birkbeck's MSc Finance with Advanced Pathways combines academic rigour with a solid grounding in the practical, problem-solving skills that employers value. The course will give you excellent, specialist knowledge and training in finance and financial economics, including basic portfolio theory, corporate finance, and pricing theory applied to derivatives and government bond markets. You will also learn the latest econometrics and numerical analysis skills. All of these skills are increasingly valued in the marketplace, banks, commercial firms and government, so this course could help you stand out in a competitive job market. A distinctive feature of this course is its pathways, which allow you to specialise in accounting, banking, commodities or risk management. When you graduate, you will be well-suited to work in specialised fields of quantitative finance in financial institutions, banks and insurance companies, or to undertake academic research leading to a PhD. Birkbeck's postgraduate finance courses are built around our long-running experience in research-led evening teaching. Many of our students work in the finance industry, which generates a lively atmosphere in class and ensures that you'll be studying alongside committed, enthusiastic students with a wealth of experience. You will be taught by active researchers, working at the cutting-edge in their respective fields, who are also experienced professional practitioners, giving specialist advice and in-house training to government departments and banks and firms in the City of London. This course is challenging and demanding, so you should demonstrate strong intellectual ability in your application and be willing to work hard. If you have no prior knowledge in finance, economics or a related field, then our MSc Finance may be more suitable for you. If you are unsure which of our finance Master's degrees is right for you, then read an overview of each programme.
MSc: Usually a first- or second-class degree, or its equivalent, in either a directly relevant or a quantitative subject, or the Birkbeck Graduate Diploma in Finance. In some circumstances, students will be admitted with a degree at less than second-class honours level, provided that their subsequent work experience and/or education and training is deemed to have brought them to an equivalent standard. Students are expected to pass the pre-sessional modules on quantitative techniques and introductory finance in September. We also offer an MSc Finance, which is ideal if you don't have any prior knowledge of economics, finance or related fields.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck's online prospectus.
Usually around 80% of the assessment is unseen examinations, typically held in June. The other 20% of your assessment is via coursework to ensure that, throughout the year, you get practice, and are given feedback, in tackling and solving problems independently, without the time pressure of examinations.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Northern Ireland)||1 Years|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||18,400 per Whole course (International)||1 Years|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Wales)||1 Years|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (EU)||1 Years|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Scotland)||1 Years|
|MSc||Full-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (England)||1 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||18,400 per Whole course (International)||2 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Northern Ireland)||2 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Scotland)||2 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (England)||2 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (EU)||2 Years|
|MSc||Part-time||October 2019||12,600 per Whole course (Wales)||2 Years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Main Site||WC1E 7HX||London|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.