Cardiff Metropolitan University
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Located in an exciting, modern European capital city, Cardiff Metropolitan University is a global university. We are continually investing in our students' future and provide education and training opportunities that are accessible, flexible and of the highest quality to students from over 140 countries worldwide.
The university has been integral to the City of Cardiff since 1865 and we pride ourselves on being a strong, sustainable and student-centered university, focused on the economic, social and cultural wellbeing of Cardiff and southeast Wales; promoting student employability, applied research and knowledge transfer.
We are made up of five academic schools:
Cardiff School of Art & Design
Cardiff School of Education
Cardiff School of Health Sciences
Cardiff School of Management
Cardiff School of Sport
We pride ourselves on having a strong reputation in applied research and active engagement with business and industry and can offer students a wide range of first-class taught postgraduate courses and unique research opportunities across our five academic schools. Postgraduates make up 36% of our total student population - amongst the highest proportion of all Welsh universities.
All our schools specialise in courses that are career orientated and have been designed in conjunction with business and industry. Our focus on employability has ensured that over 98% of our postgraduate students secure employment or enter further study within six months of graduation* *DHLE 2012
Each school is also heavily involved with research and commercial activities in their fields and we offer a thriving study environment for postgraduate students, both taught and research based. Our academic teams are at the forefront of their fields and are supported in developing their knowledge and skills through the university’s staff review and development scheme.
The university’s approach to learning, teaching and assessment is underpinned by high quality academic standards, working in partnership with students, the development and embedding of technology-enhanced learning and assessment, and research informed teaching.
We offer facilities of the highest standard to our students and staff. Across all campuses we offer first class libraries and learning centres, print studios and support services. Our aim is to provide students with a safe and supportive learning environment.
Llandaff and Cyncoed provide excellent sporting facilities for those who want to stay in shape and the Students Union offer students the chance to sign up to a variety of sporting societies and clubs.
Postgraduate taught programmes
- The Cardiff School of Art & Design offers programmes in the areas of Ceramics, Fine Art, Product Design and Communications.
- The Cardiff School of Education covers the areas of Education & Teacher Training, including PGCE Primary and Secondary as well as professional practice and leadership programmes. Programmes in English and Creative Writing are also available.
- The Cardiff School of Health Sciences can offer programmes in the areas of Applied Public Health; Biomedical Science; Food Nutrition & Dietetics; Occupational Health & Safety; Psychology; Podiatric Studies; Health & Social Sciences.
- The Cardiff School of Management can offer programmes in Accounting and Finance, Business & Management (inc. Executive and standard MBA); Computing & Information Systems, as well as Hospitality, Tourism & Events Management.
- The Cardiff School of Sport offers a wide range of programmes in Sport, Inc. Coaching Science, Sport Psychology and Performance Analysis.
Entry requirements and how to apply
Entry requirements will vary across the programmes available. Please visit the postgraduate section on our website for a full list of programmes and entry criteria. Please also visit the how to apply section for further information regarding how to apply. International Students are expected to have an acceptable TOEFL or IELTS score. Please visit the international section on our website for further information.
The university provides full-time and part-time opportunities to undertake research leading to the awards of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). It also offers the opportunity to study part-time for a Professional Doctorate by conducting research in a professional context. The current portfolio of Professional Doctorates being offered at the university is as follows:
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- Doctor of Ecological Building Practice (DeBP)
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Doctor in Health Professional Practice (DHealth)
- Doctor in Health and Social Care (DHealth)
- Doctor of Information Systems (DInfoSys)
- Doctor of Sport in Sport Leadership and Management (SportD)
- Doctor of Tourism (DTourism)
- Master of Professional Practice in Business Administration (MProfPrac BA)
- Master of Professional Practice in Ecological Building Practice (MProfPrac eBP)
- Master of Professional Practice in Education (MProfPrac Ed)
- Master of Professional Practice in Health & Social Care (MProfPrac Health)
- Master of Professional Practice in Health Professional Practice (MProfPrac Health)
- Master of Professional Practice in Information Systems (MProfPrac InfoSys)
- Master of Professional Practice in Sport Management & Leadership (MProfPrac Sport)
- Master of Professional Practice in Tourism (MProfPrac Tourism)
We are home to a number of centres of excellence, which undertake research and consultancy work. These include the National Centre for Product Design and Development Research (PDR), the Wales Food Industry Centre, the Welsh Centre for Tourism Research, the Wales Applied Health Research Unit and the Centre for Performance Analysis.
Results of the latest (2008) Research Assessment Exercise recognised our success in supporting the development of world class and internationally leading research.