Cardiff Metropolitan University
Secondary Education (Chemistry with Science)
Main features of the programme:
The emphasis of the curriculum studies sessions will be on teaching Science to key stage 3 (11-14) and to specialise in teaching for key stage 4 (14-16) and key stages 5 (16-19).The school based module comprises of three elements:
- Primary school observation
- First secondary school experience
- Second secondary school experience
- Seminars, workshops, lectures are the main method of instruction.
- University tutors work alongside school-based mentors to develop your knowledge, understanding and practical ability in teaching effectively.
- We provide regular mentor meetings which allow you to ask questions and discuss topics/issues further.
- You will receive feedback on your progress and lesson observations at regular points during the course.
The programme is mainly school based in line with government requirements with 24 out of 36 weeks spent in partnership schools, where student teachers work with a subject specialist (the subject mentor) and a senior member of the school staff (the senior mentor). The university-based modules comprise of initial professional development and curriculum studies in the subject in which the student teacher is specialising.
Welsh medium school placements are available within all subject pathways in Cardiff Met's PGCE Secondary programme.
Degree must be clearly identifiable as being chemistry with at least a 2.2 classification; GCSE English language and mathematics at grade B or above; relevant experience with children; interview which involves tests in literacy and numeracy and a comprehension task; entry is also subject to a satisfactory health check and satisfactory criminal records check.
Modules include: professional development and curriculum studies in chemistry.
Student teachers will be assessed both on practical teaching and academic assignments. The latter is assessed at Masters level and affords student teachers 60 credits at 'M' level. A pass is required for both school and university based modules. Progress is monitored by continuous assessment of student teachers' competence against statutory standards.
There is no formal end of programme examination.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2018||£ 9,000 per Academic year (home fees)||1 years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Cyncoed Campus||Cardiff||CF23 6XD||Wales|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.