Cardiff Metropolitan University
Secondary Education (Drama)
Main features of the programme:
- The programme consists of two integrated elements, which are University-based and school-based. Two thirds of the time is spent in schools which are generally within a 30 mile radius from Cardiff.
- The University-based element of the programme aims to familiarise students with the Drama curriculum in secondary schools at Key Stage 3, 4 and 16+.
- Throughout the programme students are encouraged to develop their understanding of the teaching of drama and to reflect upon this in their school experience.
- The University based modules comprise of drama curriculum studies and initial professional development. Initial professional development provides trainees with an introduction to major whole-school issues e.g. teaching strategies, classroom management, pastoral care, inclusive education etc.
- Seminars, workshops, lectures are the main method of instruction.
- University tutors work alongside school-based mentors to develop your knowledge, understanding and practical ability in teaching effectively.
- We provide regular mentor meetings which allow you to ask questions and discuss topics/issues further.
- You will receive feedback on your progress and lesson observations at regular points during the course.
Applicants are expected to have at least a 2.1 classification in a related discipline; plus GCSE grade B or above in mathematics and English language; interview which involves tests in literacy and numeracy and a comprehension task; entry is also subject to a satisfactory health check and satisfactory criminal records check.
Modules include: professional development; curriculum studies in drama.
Student teachers will be assessed both on practical teaching and academic assignments. The latter is assessed at Masters level and affords student teachers 60 credits at 'M' level. A pass is required for both school and university based modules. Progress is monitored by continuous assessment of student teachers' competence against statutory standards.
There is no formal end of programme examination.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2018||£ 9,000 per Academic year (home fees)||1 years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Cyncoed Campus||Cardiff||CF23 6XD||Wales|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.