Edge Hill University
Secondary Education (Geography, 11-16)
Successful completion of the programme leads to recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status.
This programme will equip you with a range of academic, professional and vocational knowledge, understanding, skills and values necessary to become a high quality and skilled teacher of Geography. You will experience professional training, delivered to the highest standards, immersing you in the very latest teaching and learning pedagogies.
The aim is to develop your reflective and analytical skills as well as providing practical experience in planning effective lessons and learning strategies, hands-on classroom experience, and opportunities to further your own subject knowledge. The programme is acknowledged to be at the cutting edge of new approaches to innovative Geography education in the classroom as well as incorporating an excellent fieldwork experience.
If you have a degree in or featuring Geography and want to develop secondary school pupils’ practical research skills and knowledge of the world around them, this is the programme for you.
To join this PGCE, you will be expected to have:
- A first or second class Honours degree from a UK university (or equivalent qualification);
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification);
- Satisfactory levels of Information and Communications Technology competence;
- A commitment to, and understanding of, secondary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher.
Please note, for the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
You are required to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place.
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer.
- SGE4010 Developing Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy in Geography (30 credits)
- SGE4011 Planning for Effective Teaching and Learning in Geography (30 credits)
- SGE4012 Research and Practice in Geography (30 credits)
- SRP4001 Reflective Professional Practice (30 credits)
- SRP4002 Professional Practice 1 (30 credits)
- SRP4003 Professional Practice 2 (30 credits)
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 13,000 per Academic year (International)||1 Years|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||1 Years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Ormskirk Campus||Ormskirk||L39 4QP||North West|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.