Edge Hill University
Secondary Education (Science Biology, 11-16)
This PGCE will equip you with a range of academic, professional and vocational knowledge, understanding, skills and values necessary to become a high quality and skilled teacher of Religious Education (RE). You will experience professional training, delivered to the highest standard, immersing you in the latest teaching and learning pedagogies. The programme aims to develop reflective and analytical skills as well as providing practical experience in planning effective RE lessons and learning strategies.
Hands-on classroom experience, and opportunities to further your own subject knowledge is an integral part of the programme and helps you develop useful contacts for the future, through meeting and talking with faith practitioners from a variety of world religions.
If you have a degree in Religious Education or a related subject, want to raise cross-cultural awareness and encourage empathy, enquiry and critical thinking in secondary school pupils aged 11 to 16, this is the programme for you.
To join this PGCE, you will be expected to have:
- A first or second class Honours degree from a UK university (or equivalent qualification);
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification);
- Satisfactory levels of Information and Communications Technology competence;
- A commitment to, and understanding of, secondary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher.
Please note, for the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
You are required to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place.
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer.
- SSC4010 Developing Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy in Science (Specialism) (30 credits)
- SSC4011 Planning for Effective Teaching and Learning in Science (Specialism) (30 credits)
- SSC4012 Research and Practice in Science Education (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) (30 credits)
- SRP4001 Reflective Professional Practice (30 credits)
- SRP4002 Professional Practice 1 (30 credits)
- SRP4003 Professional Practice 2 (30 credits)
A balanced combination of coursework and observed classroom experience will be assessed against academic criteria at Level 7 and the QTS Standards. Various other tasks will enable you to show your competence in ICT and other areas of science.
Specific assessments include:
- Ongoing assessment via a peer teaching programme (to assess your subject knowledge);
- Production of a teaching package (to assess your planning abilities);
- Experimental demonstration (to assess your experimental skills)
- Case study of a piece of practical work carried out on school placement (to assess your investigative skills).
Before the end of your PGCE you will need to complete a Career Entry and Development Profile (CEDP) which acts as a useful bridge between your initial teacher training programme and your Induction Year as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||1 Years|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 13,000 per Academic year (International)||1 Years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Ormskirk Campus||Ormskirk||L39 4QP||North West|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.