Goldsmiths, University of London

Goldsmiths, University of London

Applied Theatre: Drama in Educational, Community and Social Contexts

This MA addresses the historical, political, theoretical and ethical issues of applied theatre and develops your ability to contextualise, critique and create. Our aim is to prepare students to be collaborative, responsive, imaginative, politically engaged and culturally aware artist practitioners. The course is aimed at newly-emerging practitioners with a background in theatre, education, activism or social change, as well as at more established practitioners who want to reflect, refresh and develop their skills. We actively encourage the sharing of skills and expertise among our multi-national group of students. We prioritise applicants with some experience in the arts, education, activism or social care, and it is rare that we take applicants directly from their first degree. Together we explore the ways in which theatre and performance is created by diverse groups of people in a variety of community, social and educational settings: in schools or on the streets, in children's homes and elderly care, in conflict zones, conferences, crèches and youth clubs, pupil referral units and prisons, women's refuges and refugee centres, hospitals and hostels - anywhere groups of people meet and interact.

Entry requirements

You should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least second class standard in a relevant/related subject. You might also be considered for some programmes if you aren't a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level. If you are offered a place on this programme you will need to satisfy the Fitness to train criteria.

Course modules

Practical workshops, Histories, Theories and Contexts seminars, Complementary Contextual lectures, Placement and Professional Development.

Assessment methods

The MA Applied Theatre has five points of assessment: a 6,000-word essay based on material covered in Term 1, a 6,000-word reflective portfolio on the placement, a 12,000-word research project/dissertation. These assessments count towards 80% of the final mark. The remaining 20% is derived from assessment of the two shared complementary/contextual modules, which may include Disability Theatre, Performance Praxis, African Theatre, Musical Theatre and Cultural Theory.

Sponsorship information



Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MA Full-time September 2016 GBP 7,080 per Year 1 (England) 1 years
MA Full-time September 2016 GBP 14,450 per Year 1 (International) 1 years
MA Full-time September 2016 GBP 7,080 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland) 1 years
MA Full-time September 2016 GBP 7,080 per Year 1 (Scotland) 1 years
MA Full-time September 2016 GBP 7,080 per Year 1 (Wales) 1 years
MA Part-time September 2016 - 2 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Goldsmiths, University of London Lewisham SE14 6NW South East

Key information

Telephone number: 
020 7078 5300