Liverpool John Moores University
Performing Arts (Dance)
Train to become an outstanding teacher of Secondary Performing Arts (Dance) with Liverpool John Moores University. Graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
With its excellent reputation in Dance, LJMU is the ideal choice if you want to become an inspirational teacher of Dance to secondary age pupils. You will train to teach in excellent departments in local schools and benefit from the support of highly experienced teachers.
In addition to sessions to develop your expertise in Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 Dance, you will attend complementary sessions to consolidate your knowledge of Key Stage 3 Physical Education.
The programmes are designed to develop teachers who are reflective practitioners and are able to apply a deep understanding of the curriculum, learners and learning to impact on the development and achievement of young people.
The University has a well-established reputation for delivering innovative approaches to teacher education. Our academic team is made up of successful teachers who maintain strong links with schools and professional bodies, ensuring you receive the most up-to-date training and key insights into the field during your course.
You should hold, or be expected to achieve, a degree (or recognised equivalent) in a Dance related discipline normally with significant content in your chosen subject area. The degree classification should be at 2:2 or above. Dance trainees will be expected to teach a second subject in their school placements and will normally be placed in a Performing Arts or PE Department. The ability and/or willingness to offer Drama or PE as a second subject would be an advantage. Dance applicants should expect a school-based timetable which requires them to teach other disciplines.
Additional requirements for the programme include:
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at grade C or above (or equivalent qualification).
- A demonstrable interest in teaching within the curriculum area. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of the chosen curriculum area, relevant practical experience. A minimum of 5 days’ work experience in a UK Secondary school is normally required prior to commencing the programme. We can help to arrange this for successful applicants.
Applicants will need to pass Professional Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy prior to entry to this programme. A Disclosure and Barring Service check and a DfE Fitness to Teach health form are required.
LJMU welcomes applications from international students. In addition to normal entry requirements, you will be expected to demonstrate a very good level of English language competence, for example an IELTS score of 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in any component or equivalent
The University element of the programme is based around modules focusing on:
- developing your subject and pedagogical knowledge in order to support you in becoming a reflective, skilled and effective practitioner
- critiquing effective approaches to learning, teaching and assessment in your subject and/or age phase
- promoting your ability to design inclusive, engaging and impactful sequences of lessons to meet the diverse needs all learners
- informed and deliberate use of educational research to improve pupils’ learning
Course assessment methods include: critical reflections on research and practice, small scale research projects, the design and analysis of learning experiences, presentations and a portfolio of professional activities.
You will need to monitor your progression towards achieving the professional standards required for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and to maintain a professional development portfolio associated with these.
A final assessment of your achievement of the Teachers’ standards required will be based on observation and assessment of your teaching practice and the evidence base that you develop during training.
Please note the fees for 2018/19 are still awaiting final confirmation.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGDE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||10 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|IM Marsh campus||Liverpool||L17 6BD||North West|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.