Nottingham Trent University
Post-Compulsory Education and Training (with English and Literacy)
This Post-Compulsory Education degree is suitable for applicants with English or Literacy subject experience from a wide variety of areas and industries. It leads to a teaching qualification in the post-compulsory education sector.
The awards meet the national professional standards, and allows you to apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS) when you have completed your course. QTLS has been recognised as equivalent to QTS allowing holders to work in secondary schools.
We equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary for the demanding role of teacher / lecturer. The course is endorsed within the national framework for the sector and constitutes the University's equivalent of the Diploma in Education and Training.
This course is also offered with subject specialist pathways:
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- Special and Inclusive Practice
What are we looking for?
For the Prof GCE / PGCE
- a UK honours degree, at a minimum 2.2 in English Language or a related subject. Third Class graduates require additional A-level English (preferably Language) or equivalent; and
- relevant work experience will strengthen your application.
For the Cert Ed
- A-level grade C or equivalent; or
- substantial industrial / commercial experience in the intended subject specialism.
- an interview; and
- a Disclosure and Barring Service check; and
- a Prohibition Order check; and
- a satisfactory health check; and
- GCSE English and Mathematics at minimum grade C / 4 or equivalent; and
- one academic or vocational reference.
- Basic knowledge of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is an advantage.
What you'll study
This degree is offered at three award levels. You apply for either the PGCE or CertEd depending on your qualifications and will be assessed for the ProfGCE whilst on the course:
PGCE - Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- You will join this level if you have a good honours degree. You will also be able to study for 60 Masters-level credits, giving you a head-start on gaining a postgraduate qualification. You may join this level from the CertEd.
ProfGCE - Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
- You may join this level from the CertEd.
Cert Ed - Certificate in Education
- If you have the equivalent to A-levels or have significant experience in your intended subject specialism, you will join the Cert Ed.
The aims of the course are to prepare students to plan, implement and evaluate teaching and learning activities in the post-compulsory education sector and to help students to develop appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes. It equips students with an ability to reflect upon and learn from their professional practice and build students' confidence in their ability to perform their professional roles whilst creating a sound foundation for further professional and career development.
All students follow a course of study and research which covers an introduction to post-compulsory education; curriculum issues, particularly around inclusive practice; and quality; principles of learning and the characteristics of the post-14 learner; planning for learning and methods of teaching and assessment. Fully integrated into this course is a structured and supervised practical teaching component in one of our partner institutions.
The teaching experience in partner colleges / centres is central to the course. You will be supported throughout the experience by a mentor who specialises in English or Literacy, giving you the confidence to take your industry experience into the classroom.
Students are assessed by both coursework and their teaching practice. The focus of assignments is determined by the student's own practice and subject specialism.
On the part-time pre-service programme, two assessments are completed in Year One and two in Year Two.
Please note the fees for 2018/19 are still being confirmed. The fees below for 2017/18 should be used as a guide.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||1 Years|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 13,900 per Academic year (International)||1 Months|
|PGCE||Part-time||September 2019||£ 4,625 per Academic year (Home)||2 Years|
|PGCE||Part-time||September 2019||£ 6,950 per Academic year (International)||2 Years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Clifton Campus||Nottingham||NG11 8NS||East Midlands|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.