Royal Holloway, University of London

Royal Holloway, University of London

Computer Science

Computer Science is a broad and ever-expanding discipline, providing ample scope for students seeking to carry out original scientific research. Study Computer Science by Research at Royal Holloway, University of London and you'll select from one of six research disciplines in order to take your first steps towards a scientific research-based career. You'll study in a department renowned for the quality of its research publications, with the Royal Holloway Department of Computer Science ranked 11th in the UK (Research Excellence Framework 2014). You'll specialise in one of six research areas as you work towards your own unique individual project, studying under the guidance of an expert in your chosen field. Strong graduates with a Computer Science background and students with professional experience will gain advanced, research-specific skills and academic knowledge to take forward into further study or their graduate careers. You'll become a part of a lively research culture and a highly supportive staff network. The Royal Holloway Department of Computer Science benefits from close proximity to the M4 corridor - also known as 'England's Silicon Valley' - providing students with excellent networking, placement and collaboration opportunities. Follow your passion for Computer Science and graduate with a bright future in research. - Study in a highly-regarded department, ranked 11th in the UK for the quality of its research publications (Research Excellence Framework 2014). - Select from six research disciplines, each led by expert academics. - Benefit from strong industry ties, with close proximity to 'England's Silicon Valley'. - Graduate with a Masters degree by research offering excellent graduate employability prospects. - Tailor your learning with a wide range of engaging optional modules.

Entry requirements

A minimum of a 2:1 UK honours degree in a relevant subject or overseas equivalent.

Relevant professional qualifications and relevant experience in an associated area.

Specific requirements for the application may vary, depending on the school or department you are applying to, however most will require a brief research proposal that should be submitted along with the online application form.

English language requirements: IELTS 6.5 overall, with no subscore lower than 5.5

Course modules

Core modules
Year 1
Research Project
Research Techniques

One of the following strands:
Machine Learning
Constraints
Discrete Optimisation
Programming Languages and Compilers
Bioinformatics (Biological Sequence Analysis)

Non-Assessed
Students must take up to two half-unit taught courses as required by the Programme Director in consultation with the Supervisor. These will provide the necessary background for the research project for those students without the necessary previous experience.

Assessment methods

Assessment will be based primarily on the chosen research project, the centrepiece of the course, which counts for 75% of the total mark for the MSc. It will consist of a sizeable, structured piece of individual research. The project itself will normally be in a research area associated with the strand that the student has followed during the first term. The other 25% of the total mark is based on coursework and a presentation.

Qualifications

Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Wales) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Channel Islands) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (EU) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (England) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 13,800 per Year 1 (International) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland) 1 years
MSc (Res) Full-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Scotland) 1 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Channel Islands) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (EU) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (England) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 13,800 per Year 1 (International) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Scotland) 2 years
MSc (Res) Part-time September 2017 GBP 4,121 per Year 1 (Wales) 2 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Contact: 
Main Contact
Telephone number: 
01784 414944