Royal Holloway, University of London

Royal Holloway, University of London

Computer Science

Computer Science (MSc by Research) matches up students with experts in one of six research disciplines for one year of intensive supervised training; the course is aimed at recent graduates who have achieved a good 1st degree and are looking for the opportunity to do in-depth research in a chosen topic under the guidance of an expert in the area; this course is also be of interest to people wishing to acquire research skills after a period of employment.

Entry requirements

A minimum of a 2:1 UK Honours degree in a relevant subject or overseas equivalent.

Course modules

Modules may include: Bioinformatics (biological sequence analysis) constraints; discrete optimisation; distributed and global computing; intelligent agents and multi-agent systems; machine learning; programming languages and compilers.

Assessment methods

Assessments are based primarily on the chosen research project, the centrepiece of the course, which counts for 75% of the total mark for the MSc; it consists of sizeable, structured piece of individual research; the project itself should normally be in a research area associated with the strand that the student has followed during the first term; the other 25% of the total mark is based on coursework and a presentation.


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MRes Full-time - 2 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Royal Holloway Egham TW20 0EX South East

Get in contact

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Department of Computer Science
Telephone number: 
01784 443421