University of Chichester

University of Chichester

Secondary Education (Design Technology)

The course lasts for 38 weeks and students spend 70 per cent of this time on practical school experience in established partner schools; the remaining 30 per cent of time focuses on a University-based programme divided between 'professional studies' (delivered at the Bognor Regis campus) and 'subject study'; students have training placements in 2 secondary schools and also complete a week's training in a primary school (key stage 2); successful completion of this course leads to qualified teacher status (QTS), subject to satisfactory performance in skills tests.

Entry requirements

1st degree (2.2 or above) with at least 50 per cent subject content relevant to the national curriculum requirements for the subject; GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C or above; minimum of 2 weeks� classroom experience in a UK state secondary school within the last 2 years; a satisfactory enhanced clearance from the disclosure and barring service (DBS) and complete a satisfactory medical declaration before commencement of the course; students are also required to provisionally register with the GTC(E).

Course modules

Modules include: Subject specialism; professional values; practice and skills; skills to teach; behaviour management; equality and inclusion; lesson planning; management of lesson content; monitoring and assessment of pupil progress; key stage 3 strategy; the 14-18 curriculum; citizenship; personal social and health education; health and safety.

Assessment methods

Assessment is based on a short skills tests in literacy; numeracy and information communication technology.


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
PGCE Full-time £ 9,000 per Academic year (home fees) 1 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Bishop Otter Campus Chichester PO19 6PE South East

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Admissions Office
Telephone number: 
01243 816002