University of Derby
If you’re an ambitious financial manager ready to pursue your next career move, this course is for you. It bridges the gap between the technical skills of the accountant and the practical leadership skills needed to succeed in a senior managerial role.
Relevant to professionals working in the public and private sector alike, it is particularly valuable if you are:
- A qualified accountant and feel you’ve reached a ‘glass ceiling’. You’ll gain critical skills throughout the course which will set you apart from others.
- An aspiring or current senior finance/senior manager keen to progress your career to reach chief financial officer level or the equivalent. You may have extensive financial knowledge acquired through experience, but no professional accounting qualifications.
Senior finance managers are increasingly seen as key drivers for creating value, implementing and actively informing strategy. To be effective at this level it’s vital to understand the organisation’s vision and lead across different functions. This integration of competences is often missing at various levels of management and in many business sectors.
Our MSc Financial Leadership is distinctive because it focuses on a powerful combination of strategic finance and leadership skills. You’ll gain knowledge that extends beyond the core functions of finance and embraces a more holistic and strategic view of business. Ultimately, you will make a difference to the success of your organisation while accelerating your personal career progression.
With extensive use of real-life case studies, the course is delivered by leading academics, research experts and practising senior finance and leadership professionals. Their wealth of experience will encourage you to consider a variety of perspectives and will enrich your learning experience.
Derby Business School collaborates with CPA Australia, a professional accounting body which works closely with a number of employers worldwide, including many blue-chip UK based organisations. The CPA is well respected globally, focuses on providing development for strategic business leaders, and is expanding its reach within the UK.
The MSc Financial Leadership qualification is currently awaiting a decision from CPA Australia to confirm what exemptions can be achieved on the CPA professional programme.
You will usually need to:
- be a manager with two to three years’ work experience in a finance or non-finance role, and/or
- may hold a 2.2 bachelors in any Accounting & Finance or Business related degree, and/or
- may be part or fully qualified/associates of a professional accounting body e.g. Part/fully qualified CPA Australia/ACCA /CIMA/CIPFA/ICAEW/ICAS and ICS.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all ages as long as they can be considered adequately prepared to be successful on the programme.
You'll study subject such as:
- Corporate Financial Strategy
- Leading and Managing the Finance Function
- Strategic Projects
- Financial Governance
- Personal Leadership
- Independent Study
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||£ 730 per Credit (Home)||18 Months|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||£ 730 per Credit (EU)||18 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|Kedleston Road Campus||Derby||DE22 1GB||East Midlands|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.