University of East London

University of East London

Biotechnology and Management

The programme covers the practical, theoretical aspects and the necessary skills to undertake individual and collaborative research in this field; it has been designed for students wishing to make a career in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical industry, medical and academic or any field where a knowledge of bioinformatics is desirable; the programme offers a mix of traditional biotechnology and management modules with an introduction to the cutting edge of research at the molecular level; the focus of the programme is not simply on the state of current knowledge but also the methodology used in obtaining that knowledge.

Entry requirements

Applicants are required to have qualifications equivalent to a 2nd Class Honours degree from a UK university in a relevant subject or experience. For overseas students there is a requirement for an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher (or equivalent).

Course modules

Modules include: Molecular biology and disease; commercial biotechnology; research skills; planning change; implementing change; research project.

Assessment methods

Assessment is through in practical work and theory. Taught modules 40 percent of the module mark is derived from coursework during the semester (this can take a variety of forms including laboratory work, data analysis, essays, oral presentations etc.) and the remaining 60 percent from written theory examinations at the end of the semester. The Research Skills module is assessed by coursework involving a variety of forms of presentation. The Research Project is assessed mainly by the final written report, with contributions from a poster presentation and portfolio. The pass mark for all modules is 50 percent.


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
MSc Full-time - 1 years
MSc Part-time - 2 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
Stratford Campus Waltham Forest E15 4LZ South East

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Applicant Enquiries
Telephone number: 
0208 223 3333