University of Essex Online
Develop your career and knowledge with our PG Dip Education, designed specifically for those working within teaching and education practices.
Building on the knowledge gained in our PG Cert programme, this course allows you to attain the skills and knowledge to engage in a range of practices to ensure ongoing professional development including critical reflection, research and enquiry, and participation in discourse with relevant communities of practice.
Throughout the programme you’ll work alongside fellow professionals to develop the requisite knowledge and skills to critically review academic literature and apply findings to practice, enhancing your own teaching and learning.
You’ll also develop key practical skills including the ability to use methods which facilitate and promote inclusivity in education and equality of opportunity for learners while also describing the key issues in and key skills required to perform a specialised non-teaching role.
Upon completion of your Postgraduate Diploma, we offer the opportunity for you to progress to study for a full Masters (awarded after 180 credits).
The content of this programme requires you to reflect on your own educational work experience; therefore, you will need to be employed in a teaching role currently, or have some experience of teaching in a post-compulsory education context, or have regular access in a teaching capacity to an educational workplace or organisation during your studies. However, this does not limit applicants to those only working in a school, college or university; applications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis from students working in alternative organisations where an organised educational programme is delivered, e.g. galleries, museums, NGOs or other education-related sectors. We have flexible entry requirements that look at both your academic and work-based experience as well as your motivation to do the course. There are two entry routes onto our PG Dip Education programme:
1. Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Education programme you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- An undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree or a relevant professional qualification.
If English is not your first language, IELTS (Academic) 6.5 or equivalent. If you do not hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, we require students to pass a free online English test. You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of, or if you have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
2. Work Experience Entry Route
We recognise that you can gain skills in a wide variety of ways and that prior academic performance is not the only indicator of an applicant’s ability. Therefore, if you do not meet the minimum academic standards above, you may still be eligible to enrol via our Work Experience Entry Route. In order to satisfy the Work Experience Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Education programme you must meet the following criteria as a minimum:
- At least two years’ teaching experience in a post-compulsory educational setting.
- English language proficiency should be at a level equivalent to IELTS (Academic) 6.5.
- If you do not hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, we require students to pass a free online English test.
You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of, or if you have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries. Your application will be considered on an individual basis taking into account your motivation for doing the course, prior work experience and other relevant qualifications that demonstrate your ability to successfully complete the programme.
The PG Dip Education is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 120 credits at Level 7. Level 7 modules:
- Philosophy of Education and Theories of Learning & Teaching (20 credits)*
- Delivering Effective Teaching & Learning (20 credits)*
- Introduction to Educational Assessment (10 credits)
- Using Technology in Teaching, Learning and Assessment (10 credits)
- The Role of Research and Academic Literature in Developing Practice (20 credits)
- Introduction to Learning Analytics (10 credits)
- The Science of Learning - practical implications for teaching (10 credits)
Module options (choose a combination of modules equal to 40 credits):
- From Teacher to Content Developer (20 credits)
- From Teacher to Manager (20 credits)
- From Teacher to Assessment Developer (20 credits)
Upon completion of your PG Dip Education we offer the opportunity for you to progress on to study for Master of Education (M.Ed.) (180 credits). * These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
We adopt an assignment-based approach to assessment instead of exams. Assessment for the PG Dip Education is based on a combination of written coursework, collaborative learning questions, presentations and contribution to an electronic portfolio.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade right from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve. We believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your course. We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria
We also have a policy of ensuring that work submitted by students is authentic. As well as the fact that all work is frequently assessed, we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PgDip||Online study||September 2018||£ 7,072 per Whole course ()||16 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.