University of Huddersfield

University of Huddersfield

Teacher Training (Lifelong Learning)

This course leads to a professional qualification if you are already teaching in Further Education colleges, adult education, Higher Education and a wide range of other training and educational settings outside the schools sector. If you are appropriately employed in the learning and skills sector, it provides a route to the status of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) through a process administered by the Institute for Learning (IfL). Please note that the course does not confer Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for those working or intending to work in schools, although currently it is possible for people with QTLS to obtain work in maintained schools as a qualified teacher.

Entry requirements

Applicants should normally be in paid employment, as a teacher or trainer, for a minimum of 100 hours (at least 50 hours in any one year) at a recognised training or educational establishment. Voluntary teaching/ training may be acceptable in some circumstances (please check with Admissions).For the Professional Graduate/Postgraduate Certificate in Education a UK 1st degree or equivalent together with relevant work experience (where appropriate to the subject field).For the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (if available): UK 1st degree or equivalent at 2.2 or above; qualifications at NVQ level 3-4 in the subject area you teach if this is different from that of your degree.If you hold a basic teaching qualification (such as DTLLS part 1) or have substantial knowledge and experience of teaching you may be able to make a claim for accreditation of prior learning. You are required to identify a work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism.Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS, formerly Criminal Records Bureau) clearance checks learning and teaching organisations normally include young and vulnerable people and it is therefore important that screening is undertaken to help ensure a safe environment. As this is an in-service course, your employer (or voluntary placement provider) is responsible for ensuring that you are a fit and proper person to undertake the work that they employ you for. The University does not therefore normally undertake checks on those applying to this provision (though it reserves the right to do so). However, as part of the application process you will need to provide the date of your most recent DBS check and the associated reference number. If you are self-employed as a teacher/trainer, it is your responsibility to arrange for an enhanced clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service and to provide evidence that you have done so. There is a fee which must be paid by the applicant (�44 at October 2014). At the end of the CertEd/PGCE application form, there is a declaration that you must sign to confirm you have clearance. Health check: As this is an in-service course, your employer is responsible for ensuring that you are fit to undertake the job you are employed for. The University therefore does not normally undertake health checks (but reserves the right to do so).Evidence of qualifications: You must provide evidence of your qualifications. Photocopies are not acceptable. Your centre of study will make arrangements to see your original certificates before you can be formally enrolled.

Course modules

Modules include: Teaching learning and assessment; personal and professional development; studies in professional and curriculum issues; studies in teaching a specialist subject.


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Course duration
PGCE Part-time - 2 years

Campus details

Campus name Town Postcode Region Main campus Campus Partner
University of Huddersfield Huddersfield HD1 3DH Yorkshire and the Humber

Get in touch

Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.

Key information

Huddersfield Campus
Telephone number: 
01484 478249