School of Education
School of Education
Located at the heart of one of the largest single-campus universities in the UK, our students also benefit from being just 10 minutes’ walk from the city centre. Established in 1904, Leeds is one of the original six ‘redbrick’ universities and part of the prestigious Russell Group which comprises the leading research universities in the UK. The School of Education is recognised for its research and teaching excellence, ranking 34th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2015). Our high quality courses are informed by cutting-edge research and are relevant to professional contexts in the UK and beyond. We collaborate with research and teaching partners across the world.
Each year our student cohorts come from a wide variety of backgrounds and countries, enhancing our programmes and school community with an added level of dynamism and worldwide perspective. All our programmes are developed to enhance the employability of our students.
We offer an extensive range of postgraduate study opportunities including in the areas of:
- Teacher training – for anyone who wishes to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) we offer Postgraduate Certificates of Education (PGCEs) at both Primary and Secondary level.
- Language Education – with specialist programmes focusing on areas such as ‘Youth’ and ‘Academic Purposes’.
- Professional development – we have numerous programmes designed to help individuals already working in Education to further progress in their career or gain new specialisms, for example in Special Educational Needs or International Educational Management.
- Childhood Studies – considering multidisciplinary perspectives including: psychology, sociology, anthropology, media studies, inclusive education and the study of childhood and youth.
- Research – with PhD, EdD and MPhil routes.
Many of our postgraduate degrees are available as a part-time option and we also have some distance learning variants.
We undertake research in key areas of educational policy and practice, and place particular emphasis on the relevance of our work to educational practitioners and policy makers. The research conducted within our School is largely organized into three centres:
- Childhood and Youth
- Language Education
- Teaching and Learning
90% of our research impact case studies were deemed ‘Very Considerable’ or ‘Outstanding’ for impact in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2014).
You will benefit from our newly renovated Coach House which is designed specifically for postgraduate Education students to relax and study in. It also provides dedicated Postgraduate Research space which means our PhDs are based in the same building as their supervisors, creating a friendly and effective research community.
In addition you will have access to the impressive resources and facilities of the University including:
- One of the largest academic libraries in the UK with over 2.8 million items available to you.
- An award winning Students’ Union which hosts fantastic postgraduate and volunteering societies. The Students’ Union building boasts a range of eateries, a supermarket, an opticians and a large study area.
- The Language Zone which is ideal for those interested in learning or honing language skills. It is a free, learn-it-yourself facility which is open to all students.
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.