University of Reading
Secondary Education (English)
- Taught by staff with national and international reputations as being experts in the field of English in education
- Taught through a series of practical seminars and workshops
- Assignments designed to help you plan your teaching effectively and imaginatively and to evaluate your skills, particularly in terms of the quality of learning achieved by pupils
- Addresses all aspects of secondary English including specialist expertise in areas such as Drama, Media, Language and ICT
This subject is available via School Direct and University-based routes. Those students following a School Direct route may be studying for a PGCE or for QTS only. However, all students come together as a subject group in University sessions.
Those taking the PGCE will spend more time in the University than those taking the QTS-only course. The PGCE will involve writing assignments that are designed to help trainees to plan their teaching effectively and imaginatively and to evaluate their developing knowledge and skills, particularly in terms of the quality of learning achieved by pupils. Successful completion will result in 60 Masters-level credits.
At the very heart of our model of initial teacher training (ITT) is the drive to produce outstanding teachers who become reflective professionals able to secure the very best outcomes for all children.
- possess or be likely to achieve a 2:1 degree or better in a cognate subject (e.g. English, Applied Linguistics, Media Studies)
- have gained some experience of working in the secondary school environment
Plus grade C or above in GCSE mathematics and English or equivalent. You will need to have spent some time observing practice in a maintained secondary school, pass the QTS skills tests and undertake a criminal record and occupational health check.
You will be taught by a diverse and incredibly experienced community of academics, and benefit from the breadth of their expertise and understanding of educating and influencing policy. Some of your tutors have national or international reputations as experts in their fields and their research directly informs the work on the course.
University-based teaching is through a series of lectures, practical seminars and workshops, where Interactive and discussion-based techniques will encourage you to engage, reflect and challenge. Sessions may include:
- participating in workshop style sessions with your peers
- attending presentations by subject experts
- working on tasks in groups
- having individual tutorials
- visits to schools or other education settings
- visits to theatres, museums, galleries or sites of educational interest
- writing assignments on aspects of subject teaching and Professional Studies
These learning activities will help you to develop a toolkit of knowledge and skills, ensuring you are well prepared to tackle challenges and opportunities throughout your training and your career.
Alongside the University tutors, you will be taught and guided by a team of committed and experienced University-trained school mentors.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||October 2018||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||10 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|University of Reading||Reading||RG6 6UR||South East|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.