University of Reading
Primary Education (5-11)
Specialist pathways in Early Years (3-7), Primary (5-11), Special Educational Needs, Mathematics and Foreign Languages Leadership available. The pathways enable you to specialise in one area or phase but you will also train to teach across age ranges. The programme leads to 60 master’s credits and QTS.
- Experience inspirational teaching, individual support and high-quality phonics preparation
- Develop teaching skills and techniques, and acquire curriculum knowledge
- Benefit from strong links between schools and the University
- Once qualified, you will have been taught to specialise within your chosen age range, but will also be qualified to teach any primary age.
Pathway: PGCE Primary with Foreign Language Leadership (5-11)
- Gives you the experience, opportunity and knowledge to work in Key Stage 1 (KS1) and Key Stage 2 (KS2)
- Choose this pathway if you are interested in becoming the Subject Leader or Primary Languages Co-ordinator in your future school
- Prepares you for teaching in primary, infant and junior schools
- Enables you to teach languages to young learners
Pathway: PGCE Primary with Special Educational Needs
Enables you to develop a deeper knowledge and understanding of working with children with disabilities, within mainstream and special school settings
Pathway: PGCE Early Years (3-7)
- Gives you the experience and knowledge to work in Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) settings and infant/primary schools
- The EYFS is a unique phase of education which involves learning through play
- This phase leads into KS1, when children start to grapple with learning to read, applying their mathematical knowledge and making sense of how the world works
Pathway: PGCE Primary with Mathematics specialism
- Prepare for teaching in primary, infant and junior schools
- Follow a particular interest in mathematics, leading to subject leadership and/or specialist teaching of mathematics within a primary setting
- Choose this specialism if you are interested in championing mathematics in your future school
Pathway: PGCE Primary (5-11)
- Gain the experience, opportunity and knowledge to work in KS1 and KS2 in infant, junior and primary schools
- Choose this pathway if you are interested in shaping children on their journey through the primary phase
IELTS: 6.5 overall with no element less than 5.5 (or equivalent).
Entry requirements: You are normally required to have a good undergraduate honours degree (or equivalent from a university outside the UK) plus grade C or above in GCSE mathematics, science and English or equivalent. Prior experience (minimum two weeks) in a maintained primary or Early Years school required. You will also need to pass the Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) skills tests and undertake a criminal record and occupational health check.
- The core subjects (English, maths and science)
- Professional studies
- The foundation subjects
- Special Educational Needs
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full-time||September 2019||£ 9,250 per Academic year (Home)||10 Months|
|PGCE||Full time||September 2019||£ 16,045 per Academic year (International)||10 Months|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|University of Reading||Reading||RG6 6UR||South East|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.