University of St Andrews
Computing and Information Technology
A good Honours degree, 2.1 UK equivalent or better in any discipline, with an interest and ambition in the principles and practice of computing and information technology.
The modules in this programme have varying methods of delivery and assessment. For more details of each module, including weekly contact hours, teaching methods and assessment, please see the latest module catalogue which is for the 2016-2017 academic year; some elements may be subject to change for 2017 entry.
Compulsory modules: Masters Core Skills: equips students with essential skills in a range of topics including technical writing for computer science and information technology, presentation skills, research skills and project planning, all reinforced by practical assignments;
Masters Programming Projects: reinforces key programming skills gained during the first programming module of the programme and offers increasing depth and scope for creativity;
And one of: 1. Object-Oriented Modelling, Design and Programming: introduces and reinforces object-oriented modelling, design and implementation to provide a common basis of skills, allowing students to complete programming assignments within other MSc modules;
2. Programming Principles and Practice: introduces computational thinking and problem solving skills to students who have no or little previous programming experience.
Optional modules: Optional modules are subject to change each year, and attendance may be limited (see the University's position on curriculum development). Some modules may be compulsory for particular courses, with limited access for students enrolled on other programmes. Students choose five of the following optional modules (up to two of these may be taken from the second list). See the module catalogue for their descriptions.
Optional modules:1. Artificial Intelligence Principles; 2. Artificial Intelligence Practice
3. Language and Computation; 4. Advanced Networks; 5. Mobile and Wireless Networks; 6. Software Engineering Principles; 7. Software Engineering Practice; 8. Critical Systems Engineering; 9. Software Architecture; 10. Human Computer Interaction Principles and Methods; 11. Interactive Software and Hardware;
12. User-Centred Interaction Design; 13. Information Visualisation and Visual Analytics; 14. Database Management Systems; 15. Web Technologies
16. Information Security Management; 17. Network Systems Management; 18. Green Information Technology; 19. Knowledge Discovery and Datamining.
Additional optional modules: 1. Computer Graphics; 2. Distributed Systems; 3. Programming Language Design and Implementation; 4. Computer Architecture;
5. Computer Security; 6. Concurrency and Multi-Core Architectures; 7. Multimedia; 8. Video Games; 9. Constraint Programming. Dissertation:
During the second semester, students work with staff to define and agree upon a topic for the extended project, which they will work on during the final three months of the course, and which culminates in a 15,000-word dissertation. Dissertation projects may be group-based or completed individually (students are assessed individually in either case).
MSc: 9 months of course work followed by a 15,000-word dissertation prepared in the last 3 months.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 6,800 per Year 1 (EU)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 6,800 per Year 1 (England)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 19,400 per Year 1 (International)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 6,800 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 6,800 per Year 1 (Scotland)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 6,800 per Year 1 (Wales)||1 years|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||GBP 3,400 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland)||2 years|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||GBP 3,400 per Year 1 (Scotland)||2 years|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||GBP 3,400 per Year 1 (Wales)||2 years|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||GBP 3,400 per Year 1 (EU)||2 years|
|MSc||Part-time||September 2017||GBP 3,400 per Year 1 (England)||2 years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|University of St Andrews||St Andrews||KY16 9AX||Scotland|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.