University of St Andrews
Money, Banking and Finance
A UK 2.1 Honours degree (single or joint Honours) or equivalent; background should include studies in economics, or cognate areas, including macroeconomics, with some quantitative, statistical content. Applicants must be fluent in written, and oral English, IELTS band 7.
Compulsory modules: All students taking a Money, Banking and Finance MSc must take three compulsory modules in the first semester. These are:
1. Money and Banking: the economics of money, banking and financial markets;
2. Financial Econometrics: the theory and practice of financial econometrics;
3. International Finance: key issues in international macroeconomics and finance including analysing models of exchange rate determination.
In the second semester, students take two compulsory modules and are able to choose one optional module from a selection of topics. The compulsory modules are:
1. Monetary Policy: key issues of monetary policy
2. Financial Intermediation: the main theoretical issues involved in banking.
Optional modules: In your second semester, you will have the opportunity to choose one module from a selection of topics. The topics, and therefore module titles, vary year on year as they reflect research interests of our staff. Examples currently include:
1. Corporate Governance and Risk: investigation of the problem of how a collection of corporate liabilities are affected in value by corporate actions;
2. Financial Intermediation: classical techniques in risk and insurance;
3. Risk Management: standard techniques in risk and insurance;
4. Experimental Economics: the methodology of experimental economics and the dialogue between theoretical and laboratory-based empirical work.
Dissertation: The final element of the MSc is a 15,000 word dissertation. The dissertation should be on an area of money, banking and finance that you are interested in, chosen either from a list of topics or developed with your supervisor who will support you through the process.
MSc: 9 months of coursework followed by a supervised 15,000-word dissertation.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Course duration|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 9,400 per Year 1 (EU)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 9,400 per Year 1 (England)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 19,400 per Year 1 (International)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 9,400 per Year 1 (Northern Ireland)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 9,400 per Year 1 (Scotland)||1 years|
|MSc||Full-time||September 2017||GBP 9,400 per Year 1 (Wales)||1 years|
|Campus name||Town||Postcode||Region||Main campus||Campus||Partner|
|University of St Andrews||St Andrews||KY16 9AX||Scotland|
Get in touch
Remember to mention TARGETpostgrad when contacting universities.