Write a great application for teacher training

Write a great application for teacher training

Most postgraduate teacher training applications in England and Wales are made through UCAS Teacher Training (UTT). The application form is the same for:

  • the university or college-led Postgraduate or Professional Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT)
  • School Direct, salaried and unsalaried
  • some programmes for FE/post-compulsory teacher training.

The UTT application process usually opens towards the end of September so you can search for training courses to start the following autumn. You can begin making applications through Apply 1 from 18 October. Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis so make sure you have everything ready to apply as soon as possible. This is particularly important for popular courses to maximise your chance of getting the training place you want. You can only apply to a training programme when it's open. You can apply to up to three different training programmes at the same time during Apply 1. 

The Apply 2 phase opens on 9 November. If you don't hold any offers from the Apply 1 phase, you can then make further applications. They have to be made one at a time but can be for any route and you can keep applying until you're offered a place.

Make sure you have two suitable referees ready and that you pass the professional skills tests as early on as possible. Have a look at the teaching courses on TARGETpostgrad to choose the route you want.

Applicants for primary and secondary teacher training in Wales can also apply to the Welsh Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) through one of the three regional centres for teacher training and education. Applications to Scottish institutions are made through the UCAS undergraduate application system. If you want to teach in Northern Ireland, contact providers directly for an application form.

See our information on training to teach in Wales, training to teach in Scotland and training to teach in Northern Ireland for information on teacher training in other areas of the UK.

The UTT application form is split up into the following main sections:

  • personal details (including  details of your professional skills tests)
  • choices
  • education (including your highest expected qualification)
  • school and work experience
  • personal statement.

Professional skills tests

If you are training to teach in England you should provide details during the application process of your professional skills tests, including:

  • candidate number
  • date of your literacy test
  • date of your numeracy test.

These will need to be passed before you start your training.


During Apply 1, you can apply to up to three training programmes, choosing from any route, age group or subject. Select the combination that suits you best. For example, you could choose three different PGCE courses or a variety of routes, such as two PGCE courses and one SCITT. Alternatively, you can make just one choice if you prefer.

You can amend these choices at any time until you submit and pay for your application.

Your highest expected qualification

Give full details of your highest expected qualification. If you're applying for a secondary course, this section helps admissions tutors assess whether your degree course covers enough of the subject you'll be training to teach, typically at least 50%.

For primary courses, this section helps tutors identify any specialist knowledge you have relevant to teaching the range of subjects in the national curriculum. Also include skills courses, such as IT, and modules that illustrate your knowledge of cross-curricular themes being developed in primary schools, for example, forest school, community/citizenship, languages, PE, special educational needs (SEN), health education, and equality and diversity.

If your qualifications are from outside the UK, you'll need to get a statement of comparability from NARIC. Make sure you do this early on as it can take some time.

School and work experience

Give details of your school experience and any other work experience, including the average hours per week you've spent in each school or job. Where possible, demonstrate a breadth of experience across different schools and ages. For some programmes, such as School Direct (salaried), you'll need to provide a full work history.

Use the personal statement to expand on how your work experience is relevant to teaching.

Personal statement

The personal statement is your chance to provide evidence of why you want to teach, what school experience you have and why you are suitable for the programme you have chosen. Providers will be interested in the range of skills you would bring to teaching, for example, practical experience, managing people, working with or leading a team, and communication skills. Remember you can only have one personal statement for all the choices you make.


You need to provide two referees, so ask them well in advance for their permission and make sure they understand your choices, motivations and the application process. Your application can't be processed until both references have been received, so you may need to follow up on progress. Remember that your referees can view all the information on your application online when providing your reference.

Tips for completing the application form

Competition for places on popular training programmes is fierce, so take time over your application, particularly the personal statement. Evidence your commitment to teaching by linking to your school experience as much as possible. Present the information in a clear and easy to read style and check for spelling and grammatical errors.

The online application system

  • You can log in and out of your application, so you don't need to fill in everything at once.
  • Follow the step-by-step instructions carefully and use the help facility and FAQs.
  • Once you've filled in your form, and before you can request your references, you must click on the 'view all' and 'check all' buttons to check through everything you've written. Make sure you do this carefully as it's your last chance to correct any errors.
  • Once you've done this and have sent your references' request, you can't make any further changes (except to your choices and referees).
  • Once your references have been received and you're happy with your choices, you can pay for and submit your application.

After your form has been submitted

  • Many providers contact candidates by email so use a professional email address and regularly check your email.
  • Mark emails from UCAS as 'safe' to ensure you receive all communication from them.
  • If you want to change any of your choices after you've submitted your application form, you can do this once as long as it's within seven days of submission. However, you can't at this point add in any other choices. For example, if you only applied for one training provider you can't add an extra one.

Applications for other teaching programmes

Post-compulsory/FE teaching

There are several teaching qualifications available if you wish to teach in post-compulsory education. The most usual route into the profession for new graduates is via a full or part-time PGCE course. This incorporates the requirements of the Level 5 diploma, but offers additional units at a higher level.

Applications are made directly to the FE provider or to UTT. There is no central site with a complete list of courses. However, many courses are listed on the talent website.

You will need a 2:2 honours degree or above, usually in the subject you wish to teach. Providers will have their own application form and your application needs to be tailored to meet their entry criteria. Popular post-compulsory teaching courses fill up quickly so early application is recommended.

If you achieve a recognised teaching qualification at Level 5 or above you can apply for qualified teacher learning and skills (QTLS) status with the Society for Education and Training (SET). You also need to have SET membership and Level 2 or higher literacy and numeracy qualifications. Professional formation leading to QTLS involves completing an online workbook providing evidence of your skills. The cost of undertaking professional formation is £485.

See FE Advice for more information.

Early years initial teacher training

Applicants to the early years initial teacher training programme are subject to the same entry requirements as primary initial teacher training (ITT) and must pass the professional skills tests as a part of the application process. Applications are made either directly to the provider or, in some cases, through UTT. Contact providers direct for details on how to apply – see Become an Early Years Teacher for a list. Applications direct to providers vary but generally include a personal statement section where you must give details of your previous relevant experiences, explaining why you think you'd be suitable for the programme.

Teach First

Applications for the Teach First Leadership Development Programme are made online through their website. New places are released in June of the year before you would start your training, and recruitment is carried out on a rolling basis with vacancies being filled as soon as suitable candidates are found. The application form focuses on academic information and responses to a series of competency-based questions.

Researchers in Schools

Postdoctoral researchers applying for the Researchers in Schools (RIS) programme must complete the trainee teacher application form on the RIS website. As part of the application you must answer a series of assessment questions. These focus on why you want to join the RIS programme and examples from your professional life that show you understand what it takes to become an effective classroom teacher. Use the full word limit to support your application. You must also submit an up-to-date copy of your academic CV.

Assessment Only (AO)

Experienced but unqualified teachers already working in schools who wish to complete the Assessment Only route to qualified teacher status (QTS) must apply directly to an accredited and approved provider. You must have the support of your school before applying and complete an application form giving detailed evidence of your skills, as well as copies of all the required supporting documentation. You'll also need to pass both skills tests before the start of the course.

Overseas trained teachers (OTTs) will need to attach copies of their teaching qualifications, NARIC confirmation of their qualifications, passport and work permit. The originals will need to be seen at interview.

HMC Teacher Training

HMC independent senior school vacancies are advertised on HMC Teacher Training and on relevant school websites. Vacancies are usually advertised in the spring term (January to April) to start in the September of the same year. Register with the HMC website to receive vacancy notifications. You will then need to apply for specific teacher training posts directly with the schools.

Written by Christine Smith, University of Bedfordshire